A focused lecture series on implementing effective models & reports for finance professionals
The Key Topic Lectures Series is a set of 1 hour, ½-day and full-day lectures and hands-on instructor-led workshops. The modules that make up this series focus on key subjects in the areas of design & construction of models for financial forecasting and valuation and reports for financial analysis. The lectures are designed to provide thought-provoking sessions which are relevant to those in finance, commerce and public practice, which demonstrate and showcase sound solutions to common issues. The modules are available both publicly and also for private training. It is ideal as ongoing training in client organisations for students who have completed our main course in this area (the five-day Financial Analysis Certificate), and for inclusion in industry and corporate conferences.
Modes of Study
- Classroom mode: modules of ½-day,1 day and 2 days duration, public and private
- Public offerings are made for ½-day instructor-led online sessions via Zoom throughout the year
- In-house, it may be offered as one-off training; or as a series designed to engage and inspire the employee in a process of improvement over a period of time; and it is ideally suited to inclusion as part of corporate and industry conferences.
- These lectures were presented successfully with exceptional feedback annually at the Chartered Accountants ANZ’s Business Forum programs throughout Australia over a period of ten years from 2007. Those sessions were open to non-members as well as members. Sessions were also presented at professional forums for the Institute of Internal Auditors and CPA Australia.
- Attendees gain advanced skills in key subject areas;
- Modules are designed to inspire attendees to improve their skills, and to research new techniques;
- A manageable set of training that can be integrated into staff calendars, encouraging ongoing learning;
- Continuing professional education hours for accountants and other professionals.
Each Module Delivers
- A self-contained presentation, with specific training objectives which are met within the allowed time;
- Effective solutions that address key issues in model or report design;
- A demonstration of sound technique which should be used in working with Excel;
- Insights into sound methodologies and approaches to problem-solving;
- A demonstration of methodologies that lead to simpler and more transparent solutions;
- A set of companion materials with step-by-step instructions and fully-worked samples;
- Some technical depth through introducing the use of key functions, formulas and tools;
- Encouragement to the attendee to explore further the key areas of knowledge addressed, through revision of the provided materials and introducing them to effective and efficient methods of solving common problems.
- Financial modellers and those building valuation and forecasting models;
- Business Analysts responsible for forecasting and performance analysis;
- Accountants, finance managers and financial controllers budgeting and analysing business performance;
- Fund accountants and managers in equity and property funds;
- Financial advisers, public accountants, management consultants;
- Procurement, project planning and logistical staff responsible for financial and logistical planning;
- Managers responsible for their own analysis and forecasting;
- Anyone who uses Excel to perform their role, looking to improve their productivity and accuracy.
Benefits for the Employer
- Proposes and demonstrates the key elements of an effective modelling and analysis methodology;
- All models and reports should be clearly designed with a focus on the next person in the chain, be it a manager, a client, an auditor or financier, so that they will be able to quickly understand the model’s workings and test its assumptions. This series demonstrates how to achieve these goals;
- This lecture series canvasses key issues in usability, reducing complexity, increasing flexibility, adding sensitivity analysis, improving maintenance and simplifying usage of models and analytical workbooks.
- It offers opportunities to provide ongoing training designed to challenge employees to review their approach to model and report building.